welcome to Roots & Wings CSA
supporting a local farm . . . growing our community
A partnership with Deep Roots, an organic farm near Hudson, NY. Their mission is to provide local communities access to affordable, high-quality, fruit and vegetables through organic and sustainable crop production.
Ways to sign up for Roots & Wing CSA:
- Online at Deep Roots Farm (a small surcharge is included)
- Send your check to Deep Roots Farm NY, 1639 County Rte 7A, Copake, NY 12516. Make it out to Deep Roots, with Roots & Wings CSA in the notation.
- VENMO @deeprootsfarmny - last 4 digits of phone number are 3972
Pick up is Sunday mornings, in the parking lot behind South Church, 8:30 - 10 am
Regular share $500
Large share $700
Both include fruit (not necessarily every week): blueberries, strawberries, apples, melons.
Extras: Every week members will be able to add extras of their choosing, including organic eggs from Oliver's Organic Eggs, mushrooms from Tivoli Mushrooms, and a variety of other stuff--pickles, cheeses, meat. Payable by check or cash during pick up or via venmo.
Questions? Ask CSA@rivertownscommunitygardens.com
MEET THE FARMERS: Scott and Stormie O'Rourke have been farming since 2015, when they started in North Salem. They now farm over 50 acres in Copake, NY, at the foothills of the beautiful Berkshire Mountains. Part of their motivation has been to provide organic food for their daughter Scarlett, the youngest and cutest member of the team.
- The Farm will be dropping off produce for 18 weeks. skipped shares will be donated to the Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry.
- The farmers will provide a recommended share based on that week's harvest, but CSA Menbers can make substitutions.
- Roots & Wings donates fresh produce to the Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry.
1. HOW DOES IT WORK?Our pickup is Sunday mornings from 8:30 - 10:00 AM in the parking lot behind South Church. Bring a bag or basket. When you arrive, check in with our CSA Manager Gabi Munoz or a volunteer holding the clipboard and then pick up your share. The produce will be in crates on the table and signs will tell you how much to take of each.
The 2023 season will run for 18 weeks. It starts June 25 and runs through the end of October.
2. WILL I GET THE SAME PRODUCE EACH WEEK?Deep Roots grows over 100 different varieties of fruit, veggies and herbs. See sample weeks here. "You will never get the same thing two weeks in a row (unless of course you ask for it). We promise you won't get tired with the diverse selection we offer."
3. IS SWAPPING ALLOWED?The Farmers will provide a recommended share based on that week's harvest, but CSA Members can make substitutions. You can also tell the Farmer in advance that you do not want something. Swapping may not be used on prepared foods.
3. WILL UNUSED SHARES AND EXTRA PRODUCE BE DONATED TO THE FOOD PANTRY?Yes, but a little differently than in years past. Roots & Wings CSA will distribute shares that are not picked up, or excess produce, directly to Dobbs Ferry Food Pantry clients or others in need. It didn’t make sense to hold produce from Sunday (CSA pickup) to Wednesday (Pantry distribution), especially as South Church has limited air conditioned space to store vegetables.
4. CAN I TAKE A TIME OFF WHEN I AM AWAY?Please ask a friend or neighbor to pick up for you—they will enjoy the good food! You do not let to know the CSA Manager know ahead of time. Your substitute will give your name at check in.
6. DOES MY SHARE INCLUDE FRUIT?Yes, but not each week. Deep Roots grows blueberries, strawberries, apples, cantaloupe, yellow, red and orange watermelon, tropical melon, Korean melon and ground cherries.
Roots & Wings CSA includes salad greens: baby arugula, spinach, lettuce mix, spicy salad mix, pea shoots and microgreens. Purple and green broccoli and broccolini. All colors of carrots (purple, yellow, orange, red, white). Every color tomato and pepper from purple to white and of course red. TONS of basil, cilantro, rosemary and other fresh herbs. English, Persian and Kirby Cucumbers. Peas, Cabbage, Kale, Corn, Swiss Chard, Radish, Turnip….
PS: We want to deeply thank Tom and the Fable team for partnering with Roots & Wings CSA for the last five years and regret that the scheduling did not work.
I read your blog and i found it very interesting and useful blog for me. as we provide hydroponics course singapore at affordable prices. for more info visit our website.ReplyDelete