member of Roots & Wings steering committee and Manse Garden Manager. The finished logs will stay at the Manse Garden as educational materials, but you will take home a wealth of practical knowledge. Participation is donation based and limited to 12 people. Any minors must be accompanied by adults.
- Use a handsaw to cut down an invasive Norway Maple tree and make 4 logs, each about 3' long and 4" diameter wide.
- Use an electric hand drill to drill holes 1.25" deep and 5-6" apart in a diamond pattern.
- Use a hammer to lightly pound in shiitake mushroom spawn plugs.
- Use Dave's custom-built fire pit to build a small fire.
- Melt soy wax in an old glass jar placed in a titanium camping pot filled halfway with water and placed in the fire.
- Use an old toothbrush to coat the plugs with the melted wax.
- Lean the logs against a tree in the shade.